Skip to main content

Angraecum viguieri


Angraecum viguieri is native to northern and central Madagascar (Province of Antsiranana and Toamasina, Cribb & Hermans 2009).  Thy occur in Humid, evergreen forest on plateau and mossy ridge-top forest from the elevations of 900-1100m.  Based on the elevation range, I was growing it at a warm end of intermediate temperature for 7 years; the max/min daily temperature is 29-27/21-24C (80-85/70-75F) in the summer and 18-21/16-18C (65-70/60-65F) in the winter.  It kept growing, but I didn't get any flowers.  In September 2021, I removed it from the mount and potted it.  That's why the stem has the bonsai-like bent.   I also moved it to a cooler area; the max/min daily temperature is 29/18C (84/65F) in the summer and 21/13C (70/55F) in the winter.  And I finally got rewarded with the fragrant flower this year.  The cooler area also gives more seasonal variation in the temperature, compared to the relatively constant temperature of the basement.  So I'm not sure if it likes the cooler temperature, or more seasonal fluctuation for blooming.  But I'm glad that I experimented with the growing condition.

I purchased this plant from Louisiana Orchid Connection in August 2014.

 

The spur opening is wide, and the profile view of the flower shown below illustrates the intersting shape of the spur and lip.

The flowers of Angraecum spp. are frequently white, but this species has colored flowers.  I wouldn't say that it has intense color like other orchids, but the gradation from white to orange color on the lip is beautiful.


 

Literature CIted:

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kenmore dishwasher leaking diverter motor

Fun in Northern Kenai Peninsula

Samsung Linear LED module H-series Gen. 3