Skip to main content

Intro

In this blog, I'm planning to share some photos of orchids and plants which I grow in Fairbanks, Alaska.  There are some challenges to grow plants in cold climate, and I'll try to share some of my cultivation methods, too.  When I moved from North Carolina to Alaska 12 years ago, I managed to kill all of my orchids.  Well, I had to re-learn how to grow orchids in this extremely cold place.

Cultivation of plants and orchids requires both science and art.  That's why it is exciting to me.  As a professional evolutionary biologist studying evolution of plant reproduction, I try to apply scientific knowledge to cultivation.  Hopefully, I can introduce some of the scientific sides in this blog, too.

I will also try to post about the wild orchids of Alaska.  There are indeed quite a few orchids in Alaska.  I have found only 4 species so far.  Here is a teaser, Calypso bulbosa var. americanum from Fairbanks, Alaska.  It is an amazing species which flowers in the early spring (end of May here).  I'll try to write about it in the future.

Nymph


Stay tuned!
Naoki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kenmore dishwasher leaking diverter motor

Fun in Northern Kenai Peninsula

Samsung Linear LED module H-series Gen. 3